You may have read one of my recent posts reviewing the Adler Optik Jupiter 20×80 Giant Observation Binoculars.
With binoculars of this size, they are quite heavy and suitable methods of supporting them is a must. Not only will your arms buckle under the weight after a while, but they just cannot hold the binos steady enough, and stars will just be a constant blurry motion.
While a good sturdy Tripod is the simplest method, why not consider one of the following alternatives, from the sublime to the ridiculous!
All of these are homemade chairs, and a couple of these sites will supply the chairs as kits for purchase.
- The EZ Gazer - Star Gazing Chair - Binocular Viewing Mount (see photo above)
- STARGEEZER PRODUCTS PRESENTS The Couch - Potato Telescope
- Redneck Astronomy Bino Chair (RAC 1000)
- Gary’s Motorized Big Binocular Chair - by Gary Honis
- The Making Of Voyager - Wayne Schmidt’s Motorized Binocular Chair - you gotta see this!
Thanks goes to Walt Reil at Central Coast Astronomical Society for the above fascinating links. You can see more pictures of Tom Frey’s EZ Gazer Astro Lounger Chair in use at this CCAS Star Parties page.